Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Some Thoughts



I've been thinking lately about speed stitching. It's that darn AVA pillow that's got me to thinking. Nancy has been a huge help with the basketweaving of the letters this week but still it is just plain taking a lot of time. And I guess the lesson is -- time takes time. You just can't rush a hand-made item. Of course I, like usual, have been part of the problem. I choose to do the letters in Splendor which is a pliable silk and so now we have the arduous task of separating and re-combining the individual strands of silk. Nancy suggested that we use Planet Earth thread which is a one-ply thread so no stranding would be required. I love Planet Earth thread but I had selected the color that I wanted to use and well ... I am stubborn, what can I say.




So we persevered with the Splendor and it took a lot longer and it was more difficult than it had to be and now we are about to start on the purple letters and we are re-considering the whole stranded silk decision. But that is not my point. My point is that needlepoint takes time and that is all there is to it. And it is best not to rush. Needlepoint is meant to be relaxing and enjoyable. I often have to remind myself - and sometimes even my customers - of this fact. Rushing and stressing are antithetical to needlepoint. If you don't enjoy the process you are not going to enjoy the product. It's good lesson. You see, needlepoint can teach you stuff. Isn't that great?

2 comments:

  1. And I am so relieved as I stitch up the pillow that you didn't change it :) Heeheeheee

    ReplyDelete